Monday, February 15, 2010

Getting Started

I'm starting to gather resources for Bike Polo here in Seoul. I came in November. I'm hoping we can start playing once it gets warmer.

I brought 9 drilled/gripped ski poles and one street hockey ball.

Let me know if you're interested in playing, I'm starting to get everything together.

We need to find a central location to play too. I'm in Dobong, which is pretty far north but I'm willing to commute some kilometers to play. So if you think you know of anything that might work as a court let me know.

Also let me know if you know where to buy:

  • HDPE or ABS for mallet heads
  • Street hockey balls
  • Cones or something to mark the goals

6 comments:

  1. My mate Ryan is arriving this Sunday. His friends here in Bloomington, Indiana will gladly send a large supply of mallet heads and franklin balls. Ski poles are the only thing we lack here in the midwest.

    About courts and whatnot, do you know of any local cycling groups? There's gotta be a fixie crew or good track shop somewhere in Seoul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there are at least two prominent shops that I have yet to visit. I'll post links in the sidebar.

    One is LSD:
    http://annyret1.cafe24.com/

    And Skid Bikes:
    http://www.skidbikes.co.kr/main.asp

    I'm gonna plaster some fliers around town once it starts coming together, starting at those shops.

    There's also a Naver group and a facebook group for cycling in Korea.

    The mallet heads and franklin balls would definitely be appreciated. Like I said the poles/hockey tape is the only thing I actually have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey. i can't believe i found this blog. i don't even remember what i put in the google search, etc. my name is carrie and i live in ilsan, right outside seoul. my parents are sending me one of my polo mallets. i have a fixie here. (no single speed..is that a problem or are we just making due?) i'm not the most experienced polo player in the world. i just played with the madison, wisconsin crew for about three months before i left for korea. but it was awesome and i would really like to play a lot this summer. my e-mail is carrie.lorig@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet I just sent you an e-mail.

    Apparently starting April 1st, Skid Bike will be no more.

    Here's a Google Maps of fixed shops in Seoul put together by Jason Whang.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=113060613477498330241.00047fc4f5e31789ca4e2&ll=37.528787,127.034912&spn=0.272815,0.466919&z=11

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just entered seoul today and jumped on any info about Bike polo. I started in Shanghai a week ago and wish to continue here.
    There is a park near my work and will check it.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete